What is a Doidy Cup?
A Doidy Cup is a slanted cup scientifically designed to encourage babies to drink from a rim rather than a spout. It has a unique slant which enables babies to drink easily from it as they can see the contents within the cup. It has 2 handles on the side for easy holding. Breast fed babies from 3 months or earlier and bottle fed babies of 6 months or earlier can be introduced to a Doidy Cup
The Doidy Cup is made in the UK from food safe materials and is BPA free. It can be sterilized, is dishwasher proof (top shelf) and freezer proof. It is also recyclable!
Young infants love using the Doidy Cup because;
- the contents are visible to them
- due to the sloping design, there is no forward or downward movement of the head
- they do not have to tip the cup up as they can see the contents when drinking
- teaches them to drink from an open cup and also to put it down correctly
- they will not overfeed, the baby sets the pace and quantity
Mouth action using the Doidy Cup
- Drinking from the Doidy cup encourages good oral movements and helps to develop chewing skills as the jaw, tongue and mouth muscles are used
- Infants find this movement perfectly natural, therefore it is easy to introduce a Doidy cup to bottle and breast-fed babies.
- In fact, when you use a Doidy Cup, there is no need to ever introduce a bottle!
Health Professionals promote the use of a Doidy Cup to help prevent;
- Premature tooth decay
- Poor feeding techniques
- Speech problems
- Failure to thrive
- Food refusal
The COMA Weaning Report of 1994 clearly recommends that:
“Infants from the age of 6 months should be introduced to a cup and the use of a bottle should be actively discouraged after the age of 1 year to prevent long-term health problems.”
The Community Nutrition Group of the British Diatetic Association briefing states:
“It is a natural developmental progression that sipping and swallowing replace sucking and hence feeding from a cup should begin around 6 months. This may seem messy and less ‘convenient’ initially, but it is a very important skill to develop.”
Doidy is a registered trademark of Bickiepegs UK.